Reset Your Response to Stress
Focus on your awareness and how you can ‘reset’ yourself at the first signs of stress. Take a minute to reset when you anticipate stressful moments. Anytime you feel stress coming on, take note of it. If possible, try to take a minute to breathe or stretch as soon as you are aware of it. How do you feel after the minute? How do you respond to the stressor?
What happens when you feel the stress coming on and are unable to take a minute to breathe or stretch? Do you respond differently?
TAKE A MINUTE TO STRETCH: Hip Opener
- While sitting upright with hips and knees at a 90-degree angle, cross one leg over the other.
- Lean forward while keeping your back straight and hold.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Hold each stretch 20-30 seconds. Remember to breathe. Repeat up to 3 times daily.
TAKE A MINUTE TO BREATHE: Repeat a phrase while you breathe
Find a quote or create a phrase for key moments, such as:
- When you need to calm down.
- When you need to focus.
- When you need to be reminded of what is important.
- When you take a minute to breathe, inhale completely through your nose. As you exhale state your quote/phrase.
- Depending on where you are, you may say your quote out loud or just to yourself.