Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
With a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), City and County of San Francisco and Superior Court of San Francisco employees can save up to 40% paying pre-tax for qualified out-of-pocket health care and dependent care expenses. FSA administrator P&A Group provides tools that allow you to submit reimbursements online or with a smartphone. So it is easier than ever to make the most of your FSA account. Read the FSA brochure for details.
You can sign up for an FSA during open enrollment or as a new hire. The amount you request is deducted from each paycheck before taxes, and placed in your P&A Group FSA account. You then submit receipts to P&A Group for qualifying expenses, to receive your reimbursement.
You can choose to make contributions to a Healthcare FSA, a Childcare Dependent Care FSA, or both.
A Healthcare FSA allows you to pay pre-tax for qualifying health care expenses for yourself and eligible family members, including:
- medical, dental and vision co-pays,
- chiropractic, and
A Childcare Dependent Care FSA allows you to pay for certified day care, pre-school and elder care needed by eligible children under age 13 or aging parents. Note: if you have a stay-at-home parent in your household, you are not eligible for a Childcare Dependent Care FSA.
Before enrolling in an FSA make sure to work out a detailed estimate of the eligible expenses you are likely to incur for the plan year ahead. Budget conservatively. Based on federal law, you may roll forward up to $500 in unused funds year-over-year. But any unreimbursed funds in excess of $500 are forfeited at the end of the plan year and cannot be returned to you.
What Kind of Deductions are Eligible for FSA Reimbursement?
P&A Group has a list of deductions that qualify for FSA reimbursement here.
After You Enroll
After you are enrolled, there are four ways to submit an FSA claim to P&A Group:
- Benefits debit card. This allows you to swipe a card at the point-of-service. The qualifying expense will be deducted from your Flexible Spending Account balance. Use this form to request an FSA debit card.
- Submit a claim from your smartphone. Take a picture of the receipt or other supporting documentation. Go to the P&A website on your smartphone. Log into your P&A Account and select upload.
- Submit a claim from your desktop computer. Scanning a receipt or other documentation. Log into your P&A Group account and select upload.
- Submit a paper claim. Download and complete the Claim Form below. Send to P&A Group, along with required documentation for your eligible expense.
- Toll-free fax: (877) 855-7105
- Mailing address: P&A Group, 17 Court Street, Suite 500 Buffalo, NY 14202
Consult with your tax advisor or the IRS about your specific situation and your potential tax savings with an FSA. View IRS Publication 502 for information about the Healthcare FSA, and IRS Publication 503 for details about the Childcare Dependent Care FSA.
In some cases, due to certain qualifying events, a member may be allowed to initiate or modify FSA contributions during the plan year. A maximum of two benefit election changes due to qualifying events may be made per year. Contact SFHSS Member Services at (415) 554-1750 if you have questions about an FSA and a qualifying event.
FSA Administrator: P&A Group
Questions? P&A Group administers FSA's on behalf of SFHSS, including processing reimbursement forms. P&A Group's mailing address is: P&A Group, 17 Court Street, Suite 500 Buffalo, NY 14202 and their toll-free fax number is (877) 855-7105. Contact P&A Group by visiting padmin.com or calling (800) 688-2611.