Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

What is an FSA? How do they work? 

Watch the video below, provided by our FSA Administrator, P&G Group. It provides a detailed overview of both FSAs that we offer: Healthcare FSA and Dependent Care Assistance FSA.  

The video also reviews what events qualify members to make changes to their existing FSA elections outside of Open Enrollment (e.g. when a daycare center re-opens) and describes what qualifying expenses are.

Enroll in an FSA 

If you would like to enroll in an FSA, go to the MyApps Dashboard. Navigate to eBenefits under the Employee Links tab.

For information about eBenefits click here.


Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

With a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), City and County of San Francisco and Superior Court of San Francisco employees can save up to 40% paying pre-tax for qualified out-of-pocket health care and dependent care expenses. FSA administrator P&A Group provides tools that allow you to submit reimbursements online or with a smartphone. It is easier than ever to make the most of your FSA account. Read the FSA brochure for details.

You can sign up for an FSA during open enrollment or as a new hire. The amount you request is deducted from each paycheck before taxes, and placed in your P&A Group FSA account. You then submit receipts to P&A Group for qualifying expenses, to receive your reimbursement.

You can choose to make contributions to a Healthcare FSA, a Dependent Care Assistance FSA, or both.

Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts

A Healthcare FSA allows you to pay with pre-tax dollars for qualifying health care expenses for you and your eligible family members, including:

  • medical,
  • pharmacy,
  • dental and vision co-pays,
  • chiropractic and acupuncture care, 
  • and more...

The CARES Act and Healthcare FSAs

The CARES Act expanded the list of eligible expenses you can spend your Healthcare FSA dollars on.

Eligible expenses now include over-the-counter medications that previously required a prescription as well as menstrual products. 

Click here for a list of eligible items for FSA reimbursement. Eligible items include PPE materials such as face masks, hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes. 

These items can be purchased using you FSA debit card at most major retailers.  For an expanded list of eligible products please visit FSA Store

Dependent Care Assistance Flexible Spending Accounts 

A Dependent Care Assistance FSA allows you to pay for certified day care, pre-school and elder care needed by eligible children under age 13 or aging parents. Note: If you have a stay-at-home parent in your household, you are not eligible for a Dependent Care Assistance FSA.

Healthcare FSAs: 

Members who had between $10 and up to $550 in unclaimed balance in 2022 can now use the remaining balance for 2023 claims.

For the 2023 plan year, members can carryover a balance of a minimum of $10 and maximum of $570 into 2024. At the end of plan year claim filing period, unreimbursed Healthcare FSA funds below $10 and over $570 will be forfeited.

Carryover fund amounts between $10 and $570 are determined after the end of the claim filing period. Carryover funds can only be accessed for one plan year and remaining carryover funds will be forfeited. There are no exceptions*.

*Per IRS rules, you forfeit all funds remaining in an FSA by the end of the claim filing period unless covered by the Healthcare FSA Carryover provision. 

How Much Should I Set Aside for my FSA?

Before enrolling in an FSA make sure to work out a detailed estimate of the eligible expenses you are likely to incur for the plan year ahead. Budget conservatively. 

Based on federal law, you may roll forward from $10 up to $570 in unused funds year-over-year for Healthcare FSAs. Any unreimbursed funds from Healthcare FSAs in excess of $570 are forfeited at the end of the plan year and cannot be returned to you.


What Kind of Deductions are Eligible for FSA Reimbursement?
P&A Group has a list of deductions that qualify for FSA reimbursement here

After You Enroll
After you are enrolled, there are four ways to submit an FSA claim to P&A Group:

  • Benefits debit card. This allows you to swipe a card at the point-of-service. The qualifying expense will be deducted from your Flexible Spending Account balance. Use this form to request an FSA debit card.
  • Submit a claim from your smartphone. Take a picture of the receipt or other supporting documentation. Go to the P&A website on your smartphone. Log into your P&A Account and select upload.
  • Submit a claim from your desktop computer. Scanning a receipt or other documentation. Log into your P&A Group account and select upload.
  • Submit a paper claim. Download and complete the Claim Form below. Send to P&A Group, along with required documentation for your eligible expense.
  • Toll-free fax: (877) 855-7105
  • Mailing address: P&A Group, 17 Court Street, Suite 500 Buffalo, NY 14202

Consult with your tax advisor or the IRS about your specific situation and your potential tax savings with an FSA. View IRS Publication 502 for information about the Healthcare FSA, and IRS Publication 503 for details about the Dependent Care Assistance FSA.

In some cases, due to certain qualifying events, a member may be allowed to initiate or modify FSA contributions during the plan year. A maximum of two benefit election changes due to qualifying events may be made per year. Contact SFHSS Member Services at (628) 652-4700 if you have questions about an FSA and a qualifying event.

FSA Administrator: P&A Group

P&A Group administers FSA's on behalf of SFHSS, including processing reimbursement forms. P&A Group's mailing address is: P&A Group, 17 Court Street, Suite 500 Buffalo, NY 14202 and their toll-free fax number is (877) 855-7105. Contact P&A Group by visiting padmin.com or calling (800) 688-2611.