The San Francisco Health Service Board (HSB) is dedicated to providing outstanding health and other employee benefits to its members while adhering to the highest standards of customer care.
- Designing benefit plans and benefit changes, and determining rates in connection with the provisions of section A8.422 of the City Charter, subject to final approval by the Board of Supervisors
- Health and welfare plan and fund administration
Health Service Board Commissioner also serve on one of two committees: the Governance Committee and Finance Committee: The Committee terms are adjusted on an annual basis.
- Finance and Budget - Established to assist in the financial oversight of the Health Service system, including the oversight of all audits of the Health Service System and the budgeting process.
- Governance- Established to assist in developing and overseeing the governance policies and practices of the Health Service Board and its committees.
The Board consists of seven members. Three Commissioners are elected. Four appointed Commissioners are comprised of a San Francisco Supervisor, two selected by the Mayor and one selected by the City Controller. Commissioner Bios and Committee memberships can be found on our Board Commissioners page.
- President, Stephen Follansbee, M.D.
- Vice President, Chris Canning
- Commissioner Karen Breslin
- Commissioner Mary Hao
- Supevisor Dean Preston
- Commissioner Randy Scott
- Commissioner Claire Zvanksi
Board and Committee Meetings:
The Health Service Board meets on the second Thursday of each month. For Board meeting agendas and materials please visit our Board Calendar page. Meeting agendas, presentations and meeting minutes are all posted on our Board Calendar page. The Governance and Finance Committee meets on an as-needed basis.
Health Service Board Elections:
The Department of Elections will be the city agency that runs the elections for the Health Service Board.
- For seats filled by active/retired SFHSS membership, please contact the Health Service Board Secretary for upcoming election dates/information.
- For seats appointed by the Mayor, an interested person may contact the Mayor's office for more information here. All applicants must be residents of San Francisco unless otherwise stated.
- For seats appointed by the Board of Supervisors, interested persons may obtain an application from the Board of Supervisors websites here. Completed applications should be submitted to the Clerk of the Board. All applicants must be residents of San Francisco unless otherwise stated.
Board Contact Information:
San Francisco Health Service System
1145 Market Street, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103
For questions about health benefits or to reach the Well-Being team, please visit our Contact Us page.