Healthy Eating & Nutrition Benefits 2
Take the first step toward healthier eating today!
Adding more fruits and veggies to every meal is one of the best and simplest things you can do to improve your diet. Five servings a day may reduce the risk of many chronic diseases including heart disease, stroke and even some cancers. It’s a great start to improving your health and giving you more energy.
Try these tips:
- Have a fruit or vegetable with every meal or snack.
- Try a different fruit or vegetable each week.
- Sneak fruits and vegetables into your favorite meals.
Your health plan offers additional resources to help you eat healthy. Take advantage of the services that will help you.
Visit our Healthy Eating page for more tips. Also check your health plan resources related to the Diabetes Prevention Program and Healthy Weight.
Blue Shield of California
Talk to your medical group about what weight loss and nutrition programs they may offer face-to-face or over-the-phone. If you are diagnosed as diabetic, you may be eligible for an appointment with a dietician/nutritionist.
Behavioral counseling related to Healthy Diet, Physical Activity and Obesity is available. If you have a chronic condition such as:
- Coronary artery disease (CAD)
- Heart failure
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Please talk to your physician for more information. A nurse who will work closely with you one-on-one to answer your questions. Other features include in-person (where available) or online self-management workshops, self-management tools, interactive online tools and educational materials. Ask your physician for a referral.
Take living healthier one day at a time. Receive one challenge via email each day for a month. Choose the track that’s right for you. Healthy eating tracks include: Balanced Diet, Better Eating, Educated Eating, Happy Tummy, Mindful Meals, Produce Boost, Simple Cuisine, and Smart Snacking. Register for the Daily Challenge today!
- Your physician may refer you for individual nutrition consultations for medical conditions that require dietary changes. This is open to Kaiser Permanente members only and office visit cost share will be charged. For more on how to request a referral to have an appointment with a Registered Dietician.
Classes and support groups:
Visit www.kp.org/classes or call the Health Education department in your area to find in-person and online classes.
Partner with a wellness coach to create a customized plan that outline small, easy steps you can take to eat healthier or manage your weight. Schedule phone sessions at times that work for you. No referral is needed. Call us at (866) 862-4295.
Take the Total Health Assessment to make good health part of you daily habits. It only takes about 10 minutes and there's no cost to members. Based on your results, you’ll find advice, encouragement, and tools that can help you make healthier lifestyle choices.
To get started, sign in to your online account at www.kp.org/tha.
You also have access to our Eat Well resources where you can find articles, recipes, videos, and more on healthy eating, shopping and cooking, and tips for families.
Talk to your physician. You are eligible for 4 nutritional counseling visits per calendar year by a licensed health care professional in a physician's office.
Programs for Diabetics: Diabetes self-management training includes medical nutrition therapy services. Nutritional Counseling is covered at 85% after the annual deductible for services related to diabetes education. Consult your Primary Care Physician for counseling.
Programs for Pregnant Women: The “Healthy Pregnancy Program” offers a phone call from a care coordinator 4 weeks postpartum that includes information on nutrition. Enroll today: Call (888) 246-7389, or visit cx.uhc.com/uhcpregnancy.
- Rally, which is available to all UHC members, has information on eating healthy. Login to MyUHC.comor through the Mobile App, and can set up daily missions, including Eating until Full, Incorporating Fruits and Vegetables, and Eating Mindfully. Mark each mission complete once a day and earn Rally Coins.
- www.uhc.com/health-and-wellness contains articles on current topics, recipes including quick and healthy options, and online seminars for well-being.