COVID-19 Vaccine: What you need to know
The COVID-19 Vaccination is Here
What is San Francisco's plan for vaccination roll-out?
The City and County of San Francisco's resource for COVID-19 vaccine rollout can be found here. Bookmark it and check back frequently for updates on COVID-19 vaccinations in the City.
When can I get the vaccine?
The California Department of Public Health has put together a COVID-19 Vaccination Plan, which the City and County of San Francisco has adopted, for the allocation of COVID-19 vaccines as they become available to ensure equitable distribution.
What Tier am I under - Phase 1a, 1b or 1c?
You can learn more about the different prioritization groups and tiers during Phase 1 of the vaccine distribution on the California Department of Public Health's Allocation Guidelines.
How will I know when it's my turn to get the vaccine?
Starting January 19th, people who live and work in San Francisco can sign-up to be notified when it's their turn to get the COVID-19 vaccine at sf.gov/vaccinenotify.
Where can I go to get the vaccine?
Mayor London Breed announced the creation of a network of COVID-19 vaccination sites in San Francisco (1/15/21).
If I am an employee of the City and County of San Francisco, what do I need to know?
DHR has provided a FAQ about COVID-19 vaccinations for City employees here.
Will there be a cost for getting the vaccine from my health plan?
Under the public health emergency, the COVID-19 vaccine will be available with $0 cost-share to you regardless of where you get the vaccine. This applies when two doses are required, based on the following:
- Employer and Individual health plans: Members will have $0 cost-share at both in- and out-of-network providers through the national public health emergency period.
- Medicare health plans: Members will have $0 cost-share on vaccines at both in- and out-of-network providers through December 31, 2021.
Do I still have to socially distance and wear a mask after receiving the vaccine?
Yes. While experts learn more about the protection that COVID-19 vaccines provide under real-life conditions, it will be important for everyone to continue taking all the steps available to us to help stop this pandemic, like wearing masks, washing hands often, and social distancing.
Make sure you are following these simple steps to help protect your health:
- Get a flu shot
- Make sure doctor visits are up to date
- Wear a mask
- Continue to social distance
- Wash your hands
- If you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or you experience symptoms, get tested.
- Blue Shield of CA Trio and Access+ HMO COVID-19 members, click here.
- UHC PPO and UHC Medicare Advantage PPO click here. UHC has a helpful COVID-19 vaccine page here.
- Kaiser Permanente HMO and Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage HMO click here. Kaiser members can hear the latest information, 24 hours a day on COVID-19 vaccines by calling (855) 550-0951.
- Sign up for SF72.org to receive public safety alerts on your mobile devices. Text COVID19SF to 888-777 to get updates from ALERTSF.
- SF's Department of Human Resources COVID-19 Resource page for Active City & County Employees
- The COVID-19 Vaccination Plan for the City and County of San Francisco (pdf)
- Current San Francisco case numbers, Health Orders and Press Releases
- GetTestedSF: COVID-19 Testing Information