Did you know that participating in activities that you enjoy may help support healthy aging? As people age, they tend to spend more time at home which can lead to isolation and depression. The National Institute on Aging tells us that older people who are socially active are:
• Less likely to develop certain diseases.
• Happier and less depressed.
• Better prepared to cope with loss.
• More likely to improve their thinking abilities.
• Living longer.
Stay on track
- Treatment: If you are concerned that you may be depressed, contact your health care provider.
- Organizations: Consider joining a retiree organization like the Retired Employees of the City and County of San Francisco (RECCSF) or the United Educators of San Francisco Retirees.